At work—what can we do?
Office savings teams
If your workplace doesn't have one already, you could think about getting a team together to look at efficiency issues and help your organisation work towards improving its performance.
The team can look at developing and implementing an action plan as well as engaging staff by explaining and encouraging energy, waste and water saving activities. They might also encourage senior management to be involved so the action plan can really make a difference.
Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Place stickers near light switches and office machines reminding people to turn them off when not in use.
- Place posters in kitchen areas to highlight what can and can't be recycled.
- Send out regular tips to staff via email and run competitions between individuals and teams.
- Conduct a group energy, water or waste assessment.
- Look at travel-smart options for getting to and from work and between meetings.
- Hold information sessions and invite guest speakers or show documentaries on environmental topics.
- Set up a system where people can share their ideas, issues and solutions (for example, an email address or shared folder with a file hosting service).