Commercial building energy efficiency grants
Type: Business premises
Contact: Victorian GovernmentIf you have questions not answered in this summary please refer to the Victorian Government website. Your Energy Savings does not look after this program.
The State Government of Victoria Better Commercial Buildings program provides matched funding assistance of up to $30,000 to improve the performance of commercial buildings in Victoria.
Commercial building owners, agents, tenants and facility managers keen to identify and implement energy efficiency upgrades that lead to an improvement in building performance are encouraged to apply.
Commercial buildings can include offices, hotels, retail and data centres, and some mixed use buildings.
Better building performance can lead to:
- savings in energy costs
- increased tenant satisfaction and lower vacancy rates
- reduced maintenance costs
- increased asset value
- increased rental returns
- improved occupant health, well-being and comfort.
Eligible commercial buildings must be in Victoria and have an Australian Valuation Property Classification Code (AVPCC 2018). The following building classification codes are eligible:
- 21 retail
- 22 office
- 23 short term business and tourist accommodation
- 24 hospitality
- 25 entertainment
- 26 tourism facilities/infrastructure
- 27 personal services
- 28 vehicle car parking, washing and sales.
Under the PCA Guide to Office Building Quality 2012, all buildings except ‘Premium’ and ‘Grade A’ (or equivalent) are also eligible.
A number of other conditions apply. Check your eligibility on the State Government of Victoria website.
Grants of up to $30,000 are available to help commercial building owners with the costs of implementing energy efficiency projects. A co-contribution from the applicant is required. Your organization must make a minimum cash co-contribution of ($1:$1) towards the total project cost. Successful applicants must:
- appoint a Service Provider to lead the project
- deliver the project as outlined in their application
- monitor and evaluate the project as appropriate
- participate and contribute to case studies that may be published
- provide evidence that Occupational Health and Safety and/or EPA issues have been addressed
- meet the minimum co-contribution requirement of the fund complete the project within 18 months of the agreement being signed.
What will be funded
Grants of up to $5,000 for energy audits completed by a Service Provider.
- AS3598.1:2014 Energy audits
- dynamic thermal modelling
- detailed feasibility studies for comprehensive energy projects including façade and services retrofits, and renewable energy
- long-term asset planning
- updating of drawings and/or specifications.
Grants of up to $20,000 for implementing improvements overseen by a Service Provider.
- capital improvements
- building metering and monitoring systems
- building tuning.
Grants of up to $5,000 for post-installation measurement and assessment by a Service Provider.
- post-implementation building tuning/commissioning
- energy monitoring.
Better Commercial Buildings program
More VIC rebates and assistance