Home energy efficiency advice
For: Home owner, Landlord, Renter
Type: Apartment, House
Contact: ACT GovernmentIf you have questions not answered in this summary please refer to the ACT Government website. Your Energy Savings does not look after this program.
The actsmart Sustainable Home Advice program provides Australian Capital Territory residents with free advice, information and DIY videos to minimise home energy use and reduce energy bills without compromising on comfort.
An experienced energy expert can help you reduce your energy use, save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by providing advice over the phone or by email.
The service covers:
- owner-occupied homes
- homes rented from private landlords
- homes rented from Housing ACT
- community housing.
This service is available to all Australian Capital Territory residents.
The service provides information, advice and activities including:
easy, no or low cost ways to reduce energy use for:
- heating and cooling
- hot water
the suitability, energy efficiency and running costs of particular:
- space heating and cooling systems
- water heating systems
- built-in cooking appliances
- lighting fixtures
- comparing the energy efficiency and running costs of different types and brands of domestic appliances.
- how to conduct a self-audit using the Home Energy Action Kit
retro-fitting homes to make them more energy efficient, including:
- window treatments
- energy-efficient home design
- suitability of particular house blocks for building energy-efficient housing.
There are also useful DIY videos that provide step by step guides and quick tips covering topics including:
- Identifying draughts in your home
- Home Energy Action Kit
- Hot to winter proof your windows
- How to seal gaps in your home
- How to draught proof doors
- How to draught proof vents.
Make sure you understand the program information on the ACT Government website.
actsmart Sustainable Home Advice
More ACT rebates and assistance