Home energy self-assessment kit
For: Home owner, Landlord, Renter
Type: Apartment, House
Contact: ACT GovernmentIf you have questions not answered in this summary please refer to the ACT Government website. Your Energy Savings does not look after this program.
Australian Capital Territory residents can access an Actsmart Home Energy Action Kit to perform a self-assessment of their home's energy use. You can borrow a kit from any branch of the ACT Public Library and use it to develop your own Home Energy Action Plan.
The kits contain equipment, instructions and worksheets that will help you to find practical ways of saving energy around your home to reduce your energy bills and greenhouse gas emissions.
All Australian Capital Territory residents - homeowners, renters and landlords - who are members of the ACT Public Library can borrow a Home Energy Action Kit.
Each kit contains:
- a power meter to measure your energy consumption and tell you the running costs of your appliances
- an infrared thermometer to measure your fridge, freezer and hot water temperatures
- a compass to work out the orientation of your home for identifying passive solar heating opportunities
- a stopwatch to measure your shower and tap flow rates
- instructions on using the equipment and worksheets to calculate your home energy efficiency
- a Home Energy Action Plan to record the actions you can take to save energy and reduce your energy bills.
To get started on your home energy self-assessment, you can request the Home Energy Action Kit at any branch of the ACT Public Library, via the library catalogue online, or by phoning Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
Actsmart Home Energy Action Kit
More ACT rebates and assistance