Household energy-efficient appliances grants
For: Home owner, Landlord
Type: Apartment, House
Contact: Northern Territory GovernmentIf you have questions not answered in this summary please refer to the Northern Territory Government website. Your Energy Savings does not look after this program.
The Smart Energy Grants help Northern Territory owners of residential or investment properties undertake energy efficiency measures to their homes. The grants are run through a voucher system on a 50-50 co-contribution basis for up to $1,000.
For approved eligible members of the Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme, the co-contribution required will be 25% (instead of 50%), making it more affordable.
Businesses and not-for-profit organisations are not eligible for this program. They can apply for financial assistance for energy efficiency and sustainability improvements through the Northern Territory Government business Smart Energy Grants program.
To be eligible to apply for this rebate, you must:
- own a residential property, your own home or an investment property; and
- live in the Northern Territory.
A number of other conditions apply. Check your eligibility on the Northern Territory Government website.
There is no list of pre-registered businesses to choose from. It is up to each homeowner to find suitable Territory businesses to obtain quotes.
More information can be found on the Northern Territory Government website.
Eligible products include:
- installation of new residential solar PV
- increase in the capacity of existing solar PV systems in line with NT Power and Water Corporation requirements
- installation of new residential solar hot water system
- replacement of an electric hot water system with solar or electric heat-pump system
- existing systems must be at least 6 years old and verified by the installation business
- replacement of incandescent or halogen lighting with energy-efficient light emitting diode (LED) lighting
- installation of energy-efficient air conditioning replacement, including reverse cycle models that heat
- existing systems must be at least 6 years old
- systems must meet the following cooling outputs and energy star rating:
Cooling output Star rating
Up to 3kW - at least 5 stars
3.1kW to 5kW - at least 3.5 stars
5.1kW to 7kW - at least 3 stars
7.1kW to 8kW - at least 2.5 stars
Above 8kW - at least 2 stars.
replacement of an existing pool pump with a new variable speed minimum 7-star rated pool pump
- existing pool pumps must be at least 4 years old and verified by the installation business
- installation of new smart meters and energy monitoring systems.
Only one rebate is available regardless of how many residential properties you own.
Make sure that you understand the full program information on the Northern Territory Government website.
If you’re unsure what tariff you’re currently on or for more information you can also call 1800 193 111.
Smart Energy Grants
More NT rebates and assistance